I have successfully installed = the battery blanket around the battery.

The main problem was the lack = of space around the battery, and the lack of access to the side of the battery = closest to the Westy's bow.

I did the following:

Removed the passenger seat, removed the rotating = assembly. This gave me complete access to the battery.

Covered the circumference of the battery with the = blanket, and started "jamming" it down into the thin space between the = battery and batterybox. I used a screwdriver to carefully push it all the way down.

In the areas where it could not go all the way down, = I just folded it over the top of the battery. Then, I put the battery cover = plate back on, replaced the revolving seat assembly ( the hardest part of the = entire process) put the passenger seat back on again.

Finally, I plugged the blanket into the internal = outlet, and plugged the Westy electrical hookup through an extension cord directly = to the mains!

 It worked! And my Westy now = starts!

BTW: An engine at -20C needs 230% more power to be = turned over, yet at battery at the same temperature only has about 18% of its = normal power. Thus, the battery blanket was born of necessity.

Marshall Ruskin
84 Westy all bundled up
<snip-----Original Message-----
snip>

OK, here's a dumb = idea: There is an opening just behind the front right tire that goes = directly into the battery compartment (there should be a cover plate on it - if it = has not rusted off). How about taking some 110 volt heat tape (like ones = used for wrapping around basement water pipes to keep them from freezing) and = wrap the heat tape around the battery (wont require much room) and then = run the plug out the battery box hole and then plug that into the mains??? = Just a thought. Malcolm S

Marshall Ruskin wrote:

I = think a battery blanket is a good thing, and will help. Do any other = Cannucks (local idiom for Canadian) have any opinions or experience with this? Non = Canadian opinions are grudgingly (suspiciously) accepted as well. ;)

There are two concerns I = have:
1. There isn't much free space in the area = for the blanket
2. I will have to run an = extension cord through the window, I think. Any solution, even magical, to this?