I've always wondered about this...has anyone actually studied the energy used/pollution created in the manufacture of new vehicles.  At one point I had heard that in fact over the long run it is more beneficial to remove older "gross poluters" from the road due to the massive amounts of HC's, CO, NO2 etc. emitted by older vehicles as compared to brand new vehicles.  Particularly when considering that cars are concentrated in cities where most people live and breath this seems like it might make some sense.  I suppose the best environmental alternative is probably to walk or ride a bike.Mark
By maintaining an older car well beyond its product design life you are saving
the planet the environmental abuse of having to produce another new car for
your use.  Repainting your Vanagon has a miniscule impact on Mother Earth
compared with mining iron ore and pumping enough crude oil to produce the
steel and plastics to produce another 4000 pound means of personal conveyance.