Dear Readers,

We have a festival just outside = Winnipeg every summer called the Winnipeg Folk Festival. It is the largest festival of = its kind in North America, perhaps the world. It is now in its 26th year, I = think. So, it's organized.

It features really interesting = music, with both well-known and little known artists, all are considered to be tops in = their respective genre. There are several stages going on at all times, from = large ones to intimate workshops. Huge evening stages. Plus, there is a = childrens festival area, with excellent activities. It lasts for 4 = days.

The styles range from Celtic, to Gospel, to R&B, = Reggae, Jazz, traditional etc. Some with a "beat", some not. Folk = music is really music made by people for people, not packaged by corporations. We = get artists coming from all over the world.

In any case, it really is a ton of = fun, is held in a provincial park with different camping experiences for your tastes. = Lots of ethnic food etc. Liquor, I believe is banned in the park site for this = festival. No random acts of violence or anything like that, (possession of = prohibited weapons is treated seriously) people seem to have a "glow" during the festival, it's true!

Therefore, I think it is the ideal = setting for a Westy gathering, and a perfect short summer vacation for the whole = family. Winnipeg is about 8 hours from the Twin Cities, I think (in the = Mid-West). Plus, our dollar is now aproximately $1.00 US = $1.50 CDN, so it's = cheap.

So, if you are interested, let me = know, and I'll try to get something organized, (if there is interest). I will also try = to point you to good resources on the Folk Festival. (Volk = Festival)?

Cheers!

Marshall Ruskin
84 Westy
Canadians for Global = Warming