How can you get reliability out of a = ten year old vehicle?  There are no guarantees.  Problems = with vanagon are not that different from other ten year old vehicles, = only on the vanagon list 80% of what is talked about is how to fix = problems.  So that is mostly what we hear and see and = expect.  How reliable is a ten year old Toyota?

If you want a reliability (i.e., = expect to not have to keep replacing worn parts or rebuild the engine = once every 100k or so), then just don't buy a ten year old vehicle, no = matter what make it is.

-Phillip

-----Original Message-----
From:   JordanVw@AOL.COM = [mailto:JordanVw@AOL.COM]=
Sent:   Friday, January 15, 1999 6:51 AM
To:     vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Subject:       = Re: Vanagon Reliability

In a message dated 99-01-14 08:47:52 = EST, Kevin_T._Justice@DADEBEHRING.COM
writes:

<< I am again interesting in = purchasing a Vanagon, preferably a Syncro, (also
 considering the merits of a = Double Cab).  <Aside: Lynnda, glad to see you
 sold your Syncro, sorry about = dragging my feet.>  I am very much interested
 in obtaining one of these = vehicles but was recently set back in my quest by
 the response given by another = listmember to my question regarding
 reliability.  A brief = exerpt of our e-conversation follows:

 Q:
 > What kind
 > of reliability might I = expect from a vehicle like [this one]?  >>

why do think all we do is talk about = engine swaps on this list?
to be honest...the vanagon isnt in a = class of "reliable vehicles".
you want reliability, drive a = japanese car....but the jap cars have no
class...no "panache"... = :<)   i have a vanagon, because i like vw's, it has = a
neat interior layout, and it's a = versatile vehicle.
it's just too bad they have sucky = motors....

chris