John,

if you are replacing the pump, now would be a good time to thoroughly inspect the coolant hoses/pipes surrounding it, especially the metal pipe coming off of the pump. If it hasn't failed yet it might be thinking about it. Unfortunately it's a dealer piece and a little salty. Beats doing it twice though.

BTDT

Mike
87 Westy

John P. Flaherty wrote:

 Hi this is my first post to the list. The 84 Vanagon I bought in November is my fourth VW but my first watercooled. I'm replacing the water pump. I've read in a book for '88 and newer Vanagons that the cooling system must be bled. However, I don't have a bleeder in the location(thermostat housing) that was shown for the 88. Does an '84 1.9 need to be bled? where are the bleeders? Thanks John Flaherty'74 Super Beetle'84 Vanagon  GL