Tony,

I had a starting problem in my 87 when it got = really cold out.  The oil pressure release valve stuck.  The = engine could not turn over and made a whirring sound (no simple = click)..  Sometimes it would catch ( but not start) but most of = the time it would just make the whirring sound.  This continued = for a few days and would take a few hours of off and on cranking to = start (I was on a trip at the time). Excessive cranking with the oil = pressure valve malfunctioning (after buying a new battery) eventually = created another problem a few hundred miles later Turns out the oil = pressure was relieved by the oil being pushed out the exhaust manifold = and into the cad. Converter eventually ruining it.

Phillip