Dan James wrote, =

"Any good ideas?  I'd love to drag the bus to = Portland, where I have a VW
>mechanic, but that's 90 miles.  Meanwhile, = it's languishing on the coast
>with a part-time mechanic w/ a long lead = time for exotic parts...."

Beg, borrow or ... a tow vehicle and a tow dolly or = trailer and go retrieve your van.  The amount of trouble that can be = created by a non-Vanagon mechanic working on a problem of this magnitude dwarfs the = cost and effort of a 90 mile tow.

If you really want to go cheaply, get a heavy tow = line or a good chain, and pull it back home (just stay off the freeways).  If = you choose this method, be sure to drive no more than 30-40 mph (daytime = hours please) and do it only with a second driver who has some experience with = being towed, so that you don't end up being rear ended by your own van ("...that's another fine mess you've got me = into...").

Let the List know how you = resolve matters.

Good luck.

Budd Premack
86 = Syncro, 84 GL, 73 Super
Minneapolis, MN (Land of Frozen Waters