Greetings and thanks to all those whom have helped me in the = past.  My respect goes to you all.
Now my problem...fuel mixture.  I've been fighting this for = over a year and I'm getting frustrated.  Let me explain:
Since I've bought the van, it always run a little rich.  = Thinking my problem was caused by the cracked rear exhaust manifold, I had it replaced...along with the muffler and the o2 sensor.  The PO (or = PO's mechanic) had messed around the the AFM (spring tension) and can't get = it back to spec for anything.  When I test the voltage at the o2 sensor I'm = getting about 0.9v...if I try to lean it out, it runs like crap (lean = misfire).  If I set it where it idles good, it runs too rich and can't connect the o2 = sensor to the circuit or it will run even worse and has a total lack of = power.  Is it normal for these engines to want to run so rich???  I borrowed a = friends AFM last night and it seems to have smoothened out the power band but = still has a lean misfire.  What should I check next?
BTW: Unplugging the fuel pressure regulator (and blocking the = vacuum hose) has no effect on the mixture.  Can an increase in fuel pressure = cause the engine to "want" to run richer???
Recent tune-up, new air filter, timing and idle are set = correctly.  Temp sensor II seems to be in spec.  The Bentley manual hasn't been = too much help without access to a "sniffer".  Fuel economy = has been somewhat poor up to this point (about 15 MPG).  Any help would be = much appreciated at this point.
TIA
Karl Batzler
84 Vanagon 194,000 miles  4-speed
87 Audi = 5000 S