Gregory,
Dunno what it = is, but I would definitely check the insulation on the main/large wire running = from the + terminal of the battery to the starter and the wire from the starter to = the alternator. I don't think these wires are fused and if they grounded to = the frame I think there could be a fire.
Bill
-----Original = Message-----
From: gregory <grrami@EARTHLINK.NET>
T= o: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM&g= t;
Date: Monday, February 08, 1999 4:44 PM
Subject: 89 vanagon = burning plastic odor

hi everyone,
lately when i drive my '89 vanagon i notice an = odor kind of like burning plastic coming from the rear of the van, not the = engine compartment, almost from behind the tire. nothing was found stuck in = there as if i ran over a plastic bag. i wonder if it could be the clutch, = or the slave leaking fluid. any ideas?
gregory