As we all define smells differently, I would suggest a smell I always notice when driving in the winter. The salt spray from the left rear wheel all over the exhaust pipes really smells bad... make sure if it is this you smell, or something else. In addition, the pipes are disintegrating, I'm afraid I have to plunk out some doe soon...

PerL
88 Syncro

gregory wrote:

 hi everyone,lately when i drive my '89 vanagon i notice an odor kind of like burning plastic coming from the rear of the van, not the engine compartment, almost from behind the tire. nothing was found stuck in there as if i ran over a plastic bag. i wonder if it could be the clutch, or the slave leaking fluid. any ideas?gregory