Greg:  As the owner of a 90GL = with a fried rear AC housing/electrical fire, I'd check that housing if you are so equipped.  Wiring, relays(if any, PO didn't replace anything up there)  but by all means find the overload and either correct it or = disconnect it!  Eventually, I'll replace all that, but it will have = to be a hell of a junkyard deal to do it.

Dimwitted moose and Flying = Squirrel    90GL  "Millennium Falcon  III"   = 126k
-----Original = Message-----
From: gregory <grrami@EARTHLINK.NET>
T= o: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM&g= t;
Date: Monday, February 08, 1999 4:46 PM
Subject: 89 vanagon = burning plastic odor

hi everyone,
lately when i drive my '89 vanagon i notice an = odor kind of like burning plastic coming from the rear of the van, not the = engine compartment, almost from behind the tire. nothing was found stuck in = there as if i ran over a plastic bag. i wonder if it could be the clutch, = or the slave leaking fluid. any ideas?
gregory