I am having a problem with my starter.  It = intermittently doesn't work.  If I attach a jumper at the positive lead that goes = directly to the starter and jump it, the van will start normally after = that.  The starter spins without a problem but when the problem appears, nothing = happens not even the click of a failed solenoid.  There is a "Crusty = old" VW mechanic in my area that says that the whole starter needs to be = replaced but I think that the starter part is working fine when power is applied so = the problem must be the solenoid.  I really don't want to buy an = expensive starter when all I need is an inexpensive solenoid.  Anyone else = out there have any problems like this???

Pete
peterz@gte.net
83.5 Vanagon