From: Vanagon Mailing = List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com]On Behalf Of Michael Sullivan
Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 1999 6:21 = AM
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Subject: Re: LINUX will double = gerry's speed

Dear Bill,

Obviously, NT is not all = that stable -- we've had crashes recently. And our poor performance is = indicative of how wasteful this OS truly is. I might also remind you that using = NT for a mail server is like trying to kill a fly with a howitzer -- it = will do but it is literally "overkill". The fewer functions a computer = is running the more reliable it will be.

For what it is worth, I = work for a software company and use NT Server all day on my laptop -- it = is a great thing, but stable and robust it is not (at least not yet). ALL = the engineers (and there are over 300) in my company will support me on this!

I vote for LINUX because we can get a kick-ass server = out of our current hardware with nothing more than a software change. The = key thing will be maintaining/changing/modifying/integrating the archives. = Since it seems as if we have some avid volunteers out there willing to do it, = I say: LET'S DO IT!!!

Cheers,
MJS

At 06:37 PM 2/15/99 = -0700, Bill wrote:
>NT is the most popular server OS for good reason. = Memory is dirt cheap, so
>that's no issue at all. NT, when set up = properly, by somebody who knows
>how, is a very stable platform.
>
>Bill (SE Arizona) (Bill@freeholder.com) = HTTP://www.freeholder.com
>----------------------------------------= ------------------
>You can't do everything, but you can do something.
>You can't help = everyone, but you can help someone.
>Even one candle helps to = push back the darkness.

Michael J. = Sullivan
Director of Catalog Design
Open Market, = Inc.

phone: 781.359.7624