If you have auto. trans, check the = shift lever switch.  I have same problem, I need to push shift lever to the = right while I turn the key.

John Lauterbach
Macon, GA
-----Original = Message-----
From: Peter Zendzian <peterz@GTE.NET>
To: = vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM = <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM&g= t;
Date: Tuesday, February 16, 1999 2:03 AM
Subject: Starter

I am having a problem with my starter.  It intermittently doesn't work.  If I attach a jumper at the = positive lead that goes directly to the starter and jump it, the van will start = normally after that.  The starter spins without a problem but when the = problem appears, nothing happens not even the click of a failed = solenoid.  There is a "Crusty old" VW mechanic in my area that says = that the whole starter needs to be replaced but I think that the starter part = is working fine when power is applied so the problem must be the solenoid.  I really don't want to buy an expensive starter when = all I need is an inexpensive solenoid.  Anyone else out there have = any problems like this???

Pete
peterz@gte.net
83.5 = Vanagon