There is no problem drilling into the pop top.  It is very strong and the best cargo rack company in the u.s. makes a rack for fiberglass pick up shell tops.

I had at least 200 lbs. on my rack on dirt roads and sand dunes where suspension bottomed out a few times.  I can stand on my rack no problem.  Everything has to be tight, though, or damage will be done.
steve

"Wolf Packs, LLC" wrote:

At 07:01 PM 2/16/99 , Scott Hall wrote...
>I have always shuddered at the idea of drilling into the top of my Westy.

Agreed!  I would have never considered drilling into my old 1982 diesel, which I owned for most of the '80's.  However, this puppy already came with holes, so we're considering working with them *if* they're positioned well.

Interested in feedback & will study the situation further.

Linda von Hanneken
'84 VW Vanagon
'74 VW Thing ("Rover") http://wolfpacks.com/thing/