Hi folks. On Friday my local VW dealership tested my = beloved Syncro and informed me that (among other things) my steering rack was = completely worn out. I queried this at the garage, saying that I was surprised, = because the positive and sharp action of the steering was something Id always liked = about the bus.They replied that the rack and pinion itself was worn out , but = in an up and down direction, not side to side. Does this ring true? I have to = admit that Im quite suspicious, especially since I checked for play in the = steering by hand after the test and could find no slack. Any thoughts on this ùp = and down`slack and how to check it myself would be very much appreciated.     Dave Perry 87 Syncro