Hi,

I have been following all of the = engine swap options, and have just about decided to stick with the Waterboxer for my = 90 Carat.  If I want a newly rebuilt motor, I can probably get it done = for about $3k, assuming about $800 removal and replacement of the old one, = and a new waterpump.  The Eurospec I4 is what I was saving for, but it costs = twice as much as the WBX -- no matter how I look at it.  The 5 cyl is $4500 = with the rebuilt motor, and I would have to still find the FI system from a donor = car, and then pay for the removal and replacement.  The TDI is the most desirable option, but it is too expensive and still too much of a = science project.  While I agree that a new I4 or a rebuilt I5 will last = more than twice as long as a new WBX, I don't have twice as much money now to make = the investment.  I also have no time, no machine shop, no patience, and = no mechanical talent.  My present waterdripper is starting to leak = more than 1 drop / second while the engine is running, and I don't know how much = time I have before it catastophically blows.  If I do get another waterboxer, I = promise to change the coolant every 2 years.

Now,  assuming I have to stick = with the waterboxer, who is the best source?  What is your opinion = of:
GEX (well, I already know the list = opinion on this one)
AVP ?$
VW (Trademark, all rights reserved) = new engines (not rebuilt)  ?$
Boston Bob $2100

I suppose I could just do the heads, = but the D.P.O. did not take care of the engine at all, and it has 130k miles on = it and it consumes oil.

Thanks very much,
Michael Townsend
Durham, NC, = USA
townsend@rtp.ericsson.se