Hi all,

I got to meet Robert today, and ride = in his Waterboxer upgrade Vanagon.  We had a very good time, and he = answered all of my questions -- a wonderful example of all that is positive about = this list.  The .70 5th gear and the engine modifications made for a = very smooth, quiet ride.  At 70 mph on smooth asphalt, he was turning = 3200 rpm.  The sound level was only 77 dBspl A, with the microphone 1 = inch away and facing the center of the windshield.  You could actually carry = on a conversation!  As he said, this is what VW should have done!  = Now, if GM Bulley got in there and deadened the body panels, we might even get = down to the sound level of a Lexus!  (Well, it is Friday . . = .)

Michael
townsend@rtp.ericsson.se