Later, I went out and checked the oil before = taking the van for a test drive.  It smelled like gas so I drained some = out to see and I definately have gas in my oil!

Is this a result of my earlier attempt to start = the moter (i.e. I flooded it) or could it be something more problematic?  = Could it be simply change the oil and I'll be alright = ...
Gary,

In my experience, this is = symptomatic of these engines - they really don't like short drives and lots of sitting, = particularly in cool (cold) weather.  In my area (western Colorado), I encounter = a *lot* of the 'gas in the oil' problems - always traceable to short (1 - 5 = miles) trips, where the vehicle doesn't get warmed up enough.  In the high = altitudes here they *always* have some troubles with 'loading up' - = particularly at slow speeds and/or under heavy loads - that is, running too = rich.  Eventually, this cool, unburned gas will make its way into the oil = pan.  If the vehicle is run enough to really get warmed up and stay warm (hot) = for a while, the gas will 'gas' off as vapor, be pulled into the intake and be = burned.

Frequently I'll find a van that has = been a little low on oil, then a few weeks later may be a quart or so = overfull!  Always, this has been the scenario - infrequent short trips, cool/cold = weather, and lots of sitting.

Change the oil, run 100 - 500 miles = (not *neccessarily* all at one time ;)  ), change the oil again, and all = is well.

Hope this helps,

Rich