Jan Willem Brier wrote:

> VWOA (Volkswagen of America) has recently sent out letters, thru their
> attorneys, to everyone who has a domain with "VW" "Volks" "Volkswagen"
> "Bug" or "Beetle" in the name.  Some domains have already disappeared;

They may try to claim all of these domainnames and have some right to do so
as these are their trademarks. However there is a limit. About twenty years
ago the US DoD developed a programming language called "Ada". They tried
fiercely to prohibit the use of this name by third parties in any context.
According to their rules nobody could make up any name that used these three
letters in this order. It's a long time ago and few people will remember
this (it's a true story allright). They had to give in when the good people
of Canada (Can Ada!) refused to change the name of their country.

I would be very interested to know if all of this holds up in court. Anyway
what is Volkswagen. It's nothing more than 'car for the people' . People in
the sense of 'the common man'. Those in power at the time of it's conception
were not the intended buyers. These people were chauffeur driven in Merc's.
But that's another story........

Jan Willem Briër (Mr.)