Heres a rather sad tale = from Norway. Two weeks ago I took my Syncro for its 2 yearly test and it failed on a defective front outer driveshaft boot. In deciding that the rubber was = perished, the VW mechanic concerned made his point by damaging the boot to the = point that it started spraying out its grease for the first time. Took me 2 weeks = to get the replacement rubber boot and I booked into a local (nonVW) garage to = get it swapped. Great, but when I got my van back last night I got a loud = cracking from the joint on full lock (especially reverse). Took the bus back today and = the mechanic says that the CV joint is shot, probably because a stone got = inside the newly split boot.
Before I put this down = to bad luck I have a  question for the list.
 When I asked the = mechanic why the joint only made noise AFTER hed replaced the rubber boot he said = that the joint must have been stone damaged already and it was his changing of the position of the = joint in the boot swap that started the noise off. Does this sound like the truth, or = could the CV have been damaged in the boot replacement process?

PS Price of a front CV = joint in Norway is making me feel very sorry for = myself!