Hi Tom,

This is what I have been = experiencing lately:

Vehicle starts up and idles fine, then = discharges whitish exhaust, tailpipe is wet and sooty. With engine warm = this diminishes somewhat which previously led me to believe moisture was = due to condensation in the exhaust system which evaporated as engine = temp increased. But, now I think there is a consistent internal leak. No = evidence of any external leak.

Under load engine exhibits = intermittent misfiring. Much has been said about this symptom on the = list i.e. possible causes being defective temp sensors, O2 sensor, AFM, = idle stabilizer, Hall sender, fuel pump, injectors, vacuum leaks, poor = grounds, etc. I've checked out all these and they're ok.

That = leads me to this:

A unknown amount of coolant probably small but = consistant is migrating from water jacket via faulty rubber head gasket = into combustion chamber. This builds up and fouls the mixture causing = misfire, discharge of moisture (whitish exhaust) and unspent fuel (rich = odor). Haven't as yet experienced the dashboard sound and light sound = show you experienced, then again I haven't been driving much = either.

This, unfortunately is starting to make sense to me or = maybe it's fortunate because a head job will afford me yet another = opportunity to become even more at one with my vehicle. Does this make = sense to you? Thanks for asking.

Thom
'87 Syncro =
Wonderfully Wet Western = Washington