Please let me know when you find = solution to problem.  I have same on an '84.  I am trying O2 sensor first = as I am replacing exhaust system as soon as parts arrive.  My AFM is only a = year old.

John
-----Original = Message-----
From: Cam Murphy <murphys@HS-ONLINE.DE>
T= o: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM&g= t;
Date: Thursday, March 25, 1999 9:51 AM
Subject: AFM or OXS?

On a = cold (or cool) start my 84 Westy runs and idles fine.  Once it warms up a = little it runs very rough and in an oscillating manner.  On a warm start = it also runs rough.  Once it cools down for an undefined period of = time, it then idles OK again until warmed up.  Overall the performance = appears normal, except at idle.

Is this = most likely an AFM or O2 sensor, or something else?  Unfortunately I do not = have the tools (or the know-how) to verify bad = parts.

Any = guesses are appreciated.

(Note: I have had this problem before and after the engine replacement.)

'84 = Westy 106k miles
(10k on Cdn VW = remanufactured engine)
Cam Murphy