Hi all. (Hi volks?) = I'm new to the list as of this week - I wish I had discovered it a long = time ago!!

I'd like to add to = the thread (see below):
My '90 Syncro = behaves similarly. Occasional chirping when the blower is on. Sometimes = the chirps are in sync with road bumps. Sometimes they happen while = sitting at idle, but not when moving. If I turn the blower on hastily = to it's highest setting, often it will not blow at all, or it will = chirp and squeal 'til I turn it off. Turning it on slowly, waiting a = moment at each setting, avoids the problem.

It's behavior = reminds me a lot of an aging window fan I had that lingered, squealing = and protesting, dying a slow death for many, many years. So the = solution I came up with for the van was to use the blower as little as = possible, treat it very carefully when I do, and hope it doesn't quit = altogether. And even if a $25-ish replacement is available, I sure = wouldn't want go through the installation process it unless I = absolutely had to. (You've got to remove the dash, right? Sounds like = an unpleasant job!) I'll just be sure to carry a spare fuse in case = what Ken described occurs!

Doug = Fitz-Randolph
Yarmouth, ME

>>David..M = wrote:
My '87 Wolfsburg = has a chirping sound inside the dash. It sounds like a songbird singing = or perhaps an off-tune cricket. It stops when I switch off the = ventilation fan, but strangely also when I am stationary even with the = fan switched on. Is this something that needs attention, or can I = safely ignore it?

>>Matthew P. wrote:
Is the fan that Ken = is talking about the radiator fan or the one inside the dash?  I = get the same chirp if the ventilation fan is off or on- but the bus = must be moving.

>>Ken Wilford = wrote:
Sounds like the fan = is singing its death song.  Eventually this will cause the fan to = draw more current and blow the fuse. On my '85 Vanagon this caused the = wiper blades, fan blower and a few more things to stop working (which = was kinda inconvenient 'cause it was raining).  I can get you a = good used blower motor for $25 + shipping.