Hello All.  Just joined the list and thought = I'd see if anyone knows a source for a rebuilt automatic transmission for an 84 = Vanagon (Westy) with a 1.9L gas engine.  I haven't looked into local shops = yet (NW Florida) because I'm kind of skeptical about letting just any local = tranny shop tear into the VW transaxle.  Looking at the Bentley manual it = appears one may need a bit of specialized tools, knowledge, and parts above and = beyond normal tranny work.  My tranny's not terminal yet, but it slips a = bit when first starting in the morning, and is worse as the temperature drops = (really slips at sub-freezing temperatures).  Anyone have any success or = failure stories or advice?

Greg
84 Vanagon Westphalia
100,000+ miles