OK....Today the tranny in the 87 = gave up the ghost while on Vacation in Fla....
Tranny is soon to be removed and = sent to Detlev for rebuild.....but in the meantime I have to get home.

Fortunately I have located and = purchaced a used 85 Tranny I can replace it with....(Thanks Fernando)
I am debating whether to do this = myself over the next day or two or have a local tranny shop here in Cocca Beach do it = for me...

The question is, how big a job will = this be? Is it possiblle to just remove the tranny(front portion) without dropping = the entire transmission/transaxel assembly? Any special tools required? What = seals are necessary....I assume
the one between the tranny and = transaxel is all , but what do I know?

Who has done this? I am moderately = skilled but new to the Vanagon....My experience with this is limited to the time I = spent yesterday dropping the tranny/transaxel from the donor = van....

Am I the chichaua chasing the = bus.....about to become road kill? If in your opinion yes....please recommend a = relatively reputable/reasonable local vanagon guru.

Hawk