Lisa,

The buzz you hear is your fuel pump turning on and pressurizing the FI system.  I'd check the fuel pump = relays.

Karl
-----Original = Message-----
From: mark <gsellman@JOURNALIST.COM>To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM&g= t;
Date: Monday, April 12, 1999 3:05 AM
Subject: 83 Vanagon

Can anyone help me?!?!
I have and 83' = Volkswagen Vanagon. My problem is that it will die at random while = driving down the road. When it does, it won't start for several minutes. = Sometimes it won't start when it has been parked for a while either. I'll walk = you through the behavior: It has a fuel injection system. When you turn = the key, you generally hear a noise twice of the fuel injection turning on. = This is a good sign because the van will start and run after this. Sometimes = you will only hear the noise once, or maybe not at all, in this case you are = not going anywhere. I have often had to wait 3 to five minutes inbetween = attempts to get it started. When I am just a moments away from tears = and or tantrums the bitch starts. I have tried putting the gasoline = additive in to clean things out, but this has not solved the problem. I am thinking = that it is something electrical; that some how the power to the fuel = injection is shorting out somewhere. I have taken it into a mechanic to have it = checked out and fixed, but since it did not die while he was driving it or = refuse to start for him, he said he couldn't find anything wrong with it. I = had explained all the symptoms to him as I have listed above, but he had = not clue what was wrong. I really want to be able to go into the next = mechanic with some kind of info as to what it might be. If you have any idea = please let me know. I can be reached at = lizulfisa@hotmail.com.

Thankyou!
_Lisa =

-Mark

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<= BR>Words certainly evoke the imagination.
Photography, however, evokes = emotion.