A couple of months ago, I wrote in about a strange = rattling noise from the engine...which I thought was exhaust or maybe just a = dirty engine.  I replaced just about all the exhaust system and the noise = still existed.  Then I thought I'd try some CD-2 oil detergent.  In = a short time, the noise disappeared....or so I thought.  The noise = reappeared again last month.  So, last Monday, I took the time (once again) to investigate.  The "noise" seemed to be coming from the new = German muffler.  So, I removed it and = checked....odd....nothing loose.  so I reinstalled to keep tracing.  I finally tracked it down to the = head on cyl #1.  Compression tests all check OK.  Then I removed the = valve cover and started the motor and the noise got louder.  It = was coming directly from the rocker arms.  I removed the rocker arm assy. only to find all of the adjusters tips flattened out.  = Also the clip that holds the spring and flat washer was "eating" into = the flat washer and the rocker arm has a little play.  I twisted the washer so that the clips rides in a different = position....then attempted to  re-install the rocker arm assy.  I had = a hell of a time getting the pushrods so seat properly and I = noticed a little damage on intake pushrod end from the lifter side.  I'm = thing that the PO may have not installed the pushrods correctly in the = first place and that all this crap is the = "aftermath".
The "question"....should I replace all the pushrods = and rocker arm assy's, or just fix the "messed-up" one.  The pushrod is = not bent, but it just won't seat all the way.  The "noise" = now occurs only when cold.
Any suggestion appreciated....
TIA

BTW: Does anyone sell just the rocker arm assys rebuilt?  I don't seem to find them.

Karl Batzler
84 Vanagon
196,423 miles
La Quinta, CA