OK - I still haven't = found the *perfect* tires for my '90 syncro, but I love talking about = it, so here's my 2 cents...

**Locating the = Michelin MXT's:
I checked on this = about 3 weeks ago -  the Michelin MXT's 205/70R14 Reinforced tires = can be ordered direct from Michelin in SC(?) through EuroTire in = Fairfield, NJ @ 800-631-0080 for $96. EuroTire would ship them to me = for something like $7 - 10 per tire. The gentleman I spoke with said = that Michelin did have stock available.

**Other = "cheap" tires:
Uniroyal Laredo AWP = 195/75R14's are available from BJ's Wholesale Club ( http://www.bjswholesale.com ) for about $48. They're = "highway tread" load range "C" (50 PSI) tires. I = bought a set lightly used and they seem stable and predictable @ 48 psi = rear, 43psi front - though they do tend to hum/buzz at certain speeds. = I'm not sure if this is due to a tire design issue or due to my = particular tires being defective, but it really isn't too = bothersome.

**Other = "truck" tires:
Tires like the = BFGoodrich Long = Trail T/A, Firestone Wilderness HT, etc. - though they are classified = as "light truck tires" - are not suitable for the Vanagon. = They are load range B, 35 psi tires, and while many Vanagons I run = across in parking lots, etc. do have "passenger tires" like = these installed, from a safety standpoint, it seems a bit risky all in = the interest of saving a (very) few bucks.

**185 R14 D's for a = syncro:
My winter tires are = studded 185 R14 D Nokian ( http://www.nokian.com/english/ ) Hakkapeliitta 10 LT's. The = size seems fine, as does the stiffness. They are fantastic on snow and = ice, though being so narrow, they don't seem as good as my 195's in = windy conditions. I bought them through a local tire chain (Century = Tire) and they are around $100 each, but I feel very confident in = winter driving situations with them, so I think it was worth it. If the = 185 R14's are your gig, the Dunlop SP LT5 might be a good choice for a = 185 R 14 C or D summer tire. Nokian also makes the NRC - targeted at = the "central and eastern European delivery van market" - = might be appropriate for our little tire pigs.

**Tire Diameters, = etc.:
If you go = to http://powerdog.com/tiresize.cgi , you'll find a neat tire = size calculator. You type tire sizes into a list box, then click = "compute" and you get a chart with the actual dimensions of = each tire size you've entered, plus a +/- percentage difference from = the first on the list. For example, it reports that compared to the = diameter of a 205/70R14, 185/75R14's are 1.5% smaller, 195/75R14's are = 0.9% smaller. I thought it was cool...

Hope someone found = this interesting!

Doug = Fitz-Randolph
Yarmouth, ME
dfrandolph@talkam.net