From: Fitz-Randolph, Douglas <dfrandolph@TALKAM.NET>
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM&g= t;
Date: Donnerstag, 15. April 1999 14:48
Subject: Re: Tires (a = bit long - some random info)

OK - I still haven't = found the *perfect* tires for my '90 syncro, but I love talking about it, so = here's my 2 cents...

**Locating the = Michelin MXT's:
I = checked on this about 3 weeks ago -  the Michelin MXT's 205/70R14 Reinforced = tires can be ordered direct from Michelin in SC(?) through EuroTire in = Fairfield, NJ @ 800-631-0080 for $96. EuroTire would ship them to me for something = like $7 - 10 per tire. The gentleman I spoke with said that Michelin did have = stock available.

**Other = "cheap" tires:
Uniroyal Laredo AWP 195/75R14's are available from BJ's Wholesale Club ( http://www.bjswholesale.com ) for about $48. They're "highway = tread" load range "C" (50 PSI) tires. I bought a set lightly used and = they seem stable and predictable @ 48 psi rear, 43psi front - though they = do tend to hum/buzz at certain speeds. I'm not sure if this is due to a tire = design issue or due to my particular tires being defective, but it really = isn't too bothersome.

**Other = "truck" tires:
Tires = like the BFGoodrich Long = Trail T/A, Firestone Wilderness HT, etc. - though they are classified as = "light truck tires" - are not suitable for the Vanagon. They are load = range B, 35 psi tires, and while many Vanagons I run across in parking lots, = etc. do have "passenger tires" like these installed, from a safety = standpoint, it seems a bit risky all in the interest of saving a = (very) few bucks.

**185 R14 D's for a = syncro:
My winter tires are = studded 185 R14 D Nokian ( http://www.nokian.com/english/ ) Hakkapeliitta 10 LT's. The = size seems fine, as does the stiffness. They are fantastic on snow and ice, = though being so narrow, they don't seem as good as my 195's in windy = conditions. I bought them through a local tire chain (Century Tire) and they are = around $100 each, but I feel very confident in winter driving situations = with them, so I think it was worth it. If the 185 R14's are your gig, the = Dunlop SP LT5 might be a good choice for a 185 R 14 C or D summer tire. Nokian = also makes the NRC - targeted at the "central and eastern European = delivery van market" - might be appropriate for our little tire = pigs.

**Tire Diameters, = etc.:
If you go = to http://powerdog.com/tiresize.cgi , you'll find a neat tire = size calculator. You type tire sizes into a list box, then click "compute" = and you get a chart with the actual dimensions of each tire size you've = entered, plus a +/- percentage difference from the first on the list. For = example, it reports that compared to the diameter of a 205/70R14, 185/75R14's = are 1.5% smaller, 195/75R14's are 0.9% smaller. I thought it was = cool...

Hope someone found = this interesting!

Doug = Fitz-Randolph
Yarmouth, ME
dfrandolph@talkam.net