RE: My canoe on my Westy                     4/28/99

Alistair,
FWIW = I have an 18.5' Wenonah Kevlar Minnesota = II for lake tripping in the BWCA. While = mine is a lot lighter and I don't have the = problems of getting it on top (also makes = my life a lot easier when portaging!) I = still have the same wind-racking that anyone = has with a canoe on top. I use the extruded = foam that plumbers use to insulate water = pipes. I've found 5' pieces of it. I open = the slit in the foam, slide it onto the = gunwale and that protects the canoe and my = Westy. Lashing it down is accomplished = with luggage rack mounts, the tow hooks on = the front bumper, and a webbing cinch/clamp = that I slide under the back portion of the = poptop. Haven't travelled extensively = with this setup yet but seems as tight as = anything I was able to do with my Passat = Wagon and that's seen thousands of miles = and dozens of trips.
Jim in Iowa
91 = Passat Wagon GL
89 Westy
66 Beetle