Paul, when my westy started getting tight I removed = the front shift linkage rod and discovered the bushings on the two front forks(the = end that fits into the junction box) were broken off leaving only the bear = metal which is square with sharp edges.  Couldn't find replacement = bushings but found a good used rod for $15can.  Installed new rod and adjusted = it and it's been great ever since.
I'm not sure if this is what is wrong with yours but = it's something to look for .  I found the best way to adjust the shift = linkage, which is all you may need , is to have a friend under the van and you at = the helm. put the tranny in neutral and  have your partner loosen = the clamp holding the front shift rod, now position the shifter to center = and have him tighten the clamp.  Shift through all gears including reverse = and see if they operate smoothly.  If it is sticky getting it into = first, loosen the clamp and position the shifter slightly to your right,  = tighten and try all gears again .  Repeat till it's just the way you like = it.  If third and fourth start to get tough you've gone to far,  = back off a bit to your left. Also a good idea to mark how far into the clamp the = shift rod went before you start messing around, just in case you move it so you = don't have to make that adjustment if you don't have to .Jim
----- Original Message -----
From: Paul Dierze
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Sent: April 26, 1999 11:46 = AM
Subject: Shifting problem with = 88 Westy (standard)

I've been away = from the list for quite awhile.  Good to be back.

My standard transmission 88 Westy has developed a nagging = problem.  Shifting from Neutral to first has become next to impossible. =  I always have to go to second and then up to first.  Even at a = standstill.

I've greased = the junction box near the spare tire which seemed to help a little but not enough = for my wife to say the problem has stopped.  Shifting to other gears is = not impeded in either direction (except for getting into first).

Any thoughts... =

Thanks.

Paul Dierze
88 = Westfalia