<<The Vanagon = rear bumper is listed on the endangered species list, as it seems to be = a favorite target of bumper poachers.  Mine looks like a crash test = poster child.  It's ben hit three times... once by a stationary = object. 8-)>>

<<etc.>>

If you aren't dead = set on a stock bumper, the people who bring you the "syncro lift = kit" and some other Vanagon goodies have a "different" = bumper for $167 US -  $220 US with a trailer hitch. This is not an = endorsement as I have a) never dealt with the vendor (Fast Forward = Autobahn Sport Tuning) and b) I have never seen one of these bumpers in = person. Looks neat in the picture, though - see it at http://www.fastforward.ca/ .

Also, I did recently = see a Vanagon that had two 2x6 's bolted together and painted black for = a rear bumper - couldn't tell it was wood until I was up close - and = even then it didn't look bad. Though personally I wouldn't want to = introduce any more flammable material to the general vicinity of the = engine compartment / exhaust than was necessary...

Good luck.

Doug = Fitz-Randolph
Yarmouth, ME
dfrandolph@talkam.net