Had very same problem except I managed to run out = fuel twice.Replaced the sender unit and fuel line/grommet at the same = time.Haven't run out fuel since.
GerryR
----- Original Message -----
From: gary = domestico
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Sent: Monday, May 03, 1999 6:51 = PM
Subject: Low Fuel

I have noticed that as my fuel gets below 1/4 of a tank = my van will start to run differently, it seems as though I am running into a = head wind and when I start to slow down it will buck until I put in the = clutch or give it some gas and then it may smooth out. I have tried all the = little fixes but still have this problem. The van runs fine most of the time and I = know I am reaching but hope that it could be something as simple as the fuel = being low.

Thanks

Gary Domestico - = W1JRW
Greatneck Computer Repair
369 Main Street