For the life of me I can't remember what they're = called, but they've got them in the "Fasteners" section at my = local HQ (Home Quarters - big store like Home Depot, only green instead = of orange)...

They're like short rubber tubes with a flange at one = end and a nut embedded at the other. The dia. of the tube should be the = same size as the hole in the metal. Push the little gadget into the = hole - the flange keeps it from going all the way through. Insert an = appropriately-sized bolt and tighten - as the tube compresses, it gets = wider and eventually makes a tight seal in the hole and flares out = behind it. Mind you, I haven't seen these things in very large sizes = and I'd say they aren't made for high weight or stress applications, = and you can't tighten them *too*  much - but if it's just a piece = of plastic trim you are fastening, it might do the trick.

I first encountered them on my motorcycle where = they're used to attach the windshield to the fairing (all plastic), and = I'm currently planning to use them in place of those nasty plastic trim = clips that hold the interior panels to the body of my van during it's = upcoming renovations

Doug Fitz-Randolph
Yarmouth, ME
dfrandolph@talkam.net
'90 Syncro