I change the compressor in my 84 last year and = switched the system to R-134a.  On an 85 degree day, I'm getting 42 degrees = (above the driver's seat)...better than with R-12.
Karl Batzler
84 Vanagon
----- Original Message -----
From: Frank Brand
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Sent: Sunday, May 16, 1999 = 11:54 PM
Subject: A/C outlet = temperature

I just replaced the A/C compressor  on my ' 89 Carat which = had a leaking front seal. I evacuated the system with a vacuum pump for = about an hour and refilled the system with R-12 ( I bought a 30lb canister of = R-12 a few years ago when it was still relatively cheap, and finally had a = chance to use some of it ). With an ambient temperature of about 78 deg I = measured an outlet temperature of 50 deg at the outlet above the drivers seat. = This is with the vehicle standing still. I believe this is about = what I was getting from the old compressor. My question - how does this match up = with the A/C systems in list members vanagons? Good, bad, average?

Frank
S. California

89 Carat

85 5000s