Those mystery rubber nuts are called = well nuts.  We use them installing thigh braces in roto molded plastic = kayaks and they also attach the drain plugs to the deck.  I've never seen = one bigger than 3/16", but they may exist.

Dimwitted Moose and Flying = Squirrel    90 GL  Millennium Falcon III   132k
-----Original = Message-----
From: Fitz-Randolph, Douglas <dfrandolph@TALKAM.NET>
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM&g= t;
Date: Friday, May 14, 1999 12:32 PM
Subject: Mystery Metal fastener...

For the life of me I can't remember what they're = called, but they've got them in the "Fasteners" section at my local HQ = (Home Quarters - big store like Home Depot, only green instead of orange)...

They're like short rubber tubes with a flange at = one end and a nut embedded at the other. The dia. of the tube should be the same = size as the hole in the metal. Push the little gadget into the hole - the = flange keeps it from going all the way through. Insert an = appropriately-sized bolt and tighten - as the tube compresses, it gets wider and eventually = makes a tight seal in the hole and flares out behind it. Mind you, I haven't = seen these things in very large sizes and I'd say they aren't made for = high weight or stress applications, and you can't tighten them = *too*  much - but if it's just a piece of plastic trim you are fastening, it might = do the trick.

I first encountered them on my motorcycle where = they're used to attach the windshield to the fairing (all plastic), and I'm = currently planning to use them in place of those nasty plastic trim clips that = hold the interior panels to the body of my van during it's upcoming renovations

Doug Fitz-Randolph
Yarmouth, ME
dfrandolph@talkam.net
'90 Syncro