Mark A. = Williamson/Re: Gas mileage wrote:
<<I = have averaged about 25 mpg in summer and about 20 mpg in winter.  = Difference has been due to oxygenated fuels we use in the Denver area = in winter.  At best, my bus gets about 29 mpg, at worst 18 = mpg.>>

OK... maybe = my '90 syncro is running a little rich, but I just broke the 20 mpg = mark for the first time after installing my new MXT tires. Generally = averages 17-19 around town. With studded snow tires in winter, averaged = 15-18 mpg. I could never dream of averaging 25! The original EPA/VW = estimates were all sub-20mpg... Which makes me wonder if we're = comparing apples to apples here - perhaps we're all running different = tire sizes and basing our mpg figures on incorrect odometer = data?

Brent = Christensen/Re: 86 fueling problem wrote:
<< = When the tanks reaches about 3/4 full, the pump nozzle starts acting = like the tank is full.  I don't get splash-back, but the only way = I can get the tank completely full is to turn the nozzle 1/4 turn = counter-clockwise and gently squeeze in the last 4 gallons or so by = hand. It has done this the last two times I have = refueled.>>

I've got the = same issue with my '90 Syncro. Here's my procedure: Insert the nozzle = fully and set pump lever at the first notch (highest flow). The pump = stops a few gallons short of full. Pull the nozzle out so it is just = far enough in to stay in on it's own, then set the pump lever at the = last notch (lowest flow) and let it run until it shuts off. (It has not = overflowed to date) The tank is about as full as it's going to get at = this point - as in the gas gauge needle floats happily in the black = space above the full mark. Of course, if your gas station has removed = the little notches from the pump handle, you'll have to do this = manually. My gas station patronage is actually wholly based on the fact = that the Mobil station I go to is about the only one around that hasn't = removed the little notches - so I can wash the windows, get coffee or = even (gasp) just put both hands in my pockets w-h-i-l-e filling my = tank. I don't know if this notch removal is widespread, but it ought to = be stopped! Sorry - getting off the subject here.

RE: Checking propane = pressure:
Last week, Mark Drillock = described a procedure for testing propane regulator pressure. The = Dometic fridge standard is 11 inches of water column pressure (WCP). = I'm in the process of "camperizing" my '90 syncro - I haven't = installed the tank yet, but tested the regulator using the method = described by hooking the regulator up to my BBQ propane tank. WCP = measured only 5 inches! (No, there were not any leaks). I turned the = adjusting screw on the regulator and increased the WCP to 9 inches, but = I didn't want to go any further - it seemed as if I shouldn't have to = screw the adjusting screw so far in - it still turned freely, but it = didn't look like it could go much further and I didn't want to risk = breaking anything. Has anyone else tried this test with similar (or = different) results? I unfortunately sold my textbooks after my = chemistry and physics classes (parents - advise your kids against doing = that!!), but I think the amount of water in the tube and the diameter = of the tube should be irrelevant here, yes? And even if I do get the = pressure right, will I have problems getting a 19 year old westy = propane tank filled? TIA for any advice!

Doug Fitz-Randolph
Yarmouth, ME
dfrandolph@talkam.net
'90 Syncro
(sorry about HTML - this is a = global setting on our network and I have no way to shut it off!)