Earlier this spring I was attempting to free my 1984 = Westy from a patch of ice in front of my house.  I jacked up the = rear wheel so I could place a board under the wheel, and as I started = lowering the van, the threaded rod in the centre of the jack casing snaped.  The = van lurched over and settled to the ground as the remaining section of = rod bent (as it was still  supporting the folding arm that inserts = into the jack point of the van body.)

The jack and van were level, and  the jack was at right angles = to both the road surface and the van.  The jack has only been used once or = twice in the 15 years that I have owned the van.

Has anyone else had the jack break? I understand VW has a free = replacement program for jacks, except for the Westy (so my dealer says).

Eric
1984 Westy