ive been reading this thread for a bit and wonder if = i have the same
problem. after leaving my 89 2.1 digifant vanagon sitting = for a few days i
heard a knocking sound on startup. right away i shut it down = and took a
compression test. 135 all the way around. one thing though, the # 4 = spark
plug was very loose and showed sooty blowby all over the = exterior of itself.
the knock is more resonant than a tap, louder than a tick. = and during the
compression test (turning the engine over 5 times) it wasn't = detectable at
all.
are we still talking about the same thing? lifters, valve = seats etc...?
could the results i got still point to a more serious = problem.
any insight will be appreciated.
gregory