Surely -
-----Original Message-----
From: PhamA [mailto:PhamA@aurorabio.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, = 1999 8:55 AM
To: 'Vanagon-Westies Members'
Cc: 'cobys@well.com'
Subject: Valve Adjustment-Help!

Hi All,
I have an '84 1.9L water-cooled with Digijet.
Can anyone give me advice of:
a)how to adjust the vales.  The Bentley calls out 2 CW = turns after the adjustment screw touch the valve stem at TDC; however it = doesn't say any thing about if this is for both intake and exhaust as well = as if the engine has to be cold.
[Coby Smolens] Both valves closed for each = cylinder in turn, just like your old 1600, loosen the locknut, back off on the = screw til you get clearance. I use a very small screwdriver or my fingers to = turn the adjuster screw to this point. A big screwdriver costs sensitivity. = Then turn CW two full turns (720 degrees). If there's a squishy lifter this = can throw you - be sure to get the starting point right. Every valve gets the = same treatment.

b) Statically set the timing: Bentley = specs is 5degree ATDC.  With the air cooled engine that has point and = rotor, I used to align the timing mark with cyl #1 and then slowly rotated = the distributor until hearing a click.  The Digijet ignition = doesn't have point, can I still do the same?  If not, can you give me some = advice of how to set the timing with the timing light.
[Coby Smolens] You can sort of approximate the timing by lining the notch = on the distributor up with the center of the rotor's outer contact  - providing the drive gear hasn't been out, of course. To properly set = the timing you have to have a light. Unplug the wire harness connectors = from the idle stabilizer (on the driver's side wall of the engine = compartment, just forward of the coil). You squeeze the sides of the plugs to remove = them. Look closely - you'll see what I mean. Then plug the male and female = plugs together (and you thought working on your car was going to be all business!), hook up your timing light, warm up the engine and set = the notch on the pulley to the seam in the engine case, just like your old = upright. Idle speed should be 900 or so. NOTE: The notch on the inner pulley = is for 5ATDC, the rounder mark on the middle pulley ring is the TDC = indicator. Enjoy!