OK, I've been reading these posts for a few months = now, hoping someone else would ask "What the heck is a TDI?"  No one has, so = now I am asking.

Karl Wolz
----- Original Message -----
From: Michael J. Sullivan
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 1999 = 2:46 PM
Subject: Re: Engine Swap - what = about TDI?

Dear Douglas,

I am "in the middle" of doing my = TDi conversion but have to temporarily stop due to moving to a new house, = an impending heart operation (yikes!), and an unresponsive, over-booked = mechanic. Looks like it will have to wait 'till September unless my mechanic = (who will remain un-named) gets a fire under his ass to start making some progress.

As far as acceleration goes, I own a Passat TDi and I = assure you, you would never know from a performance point-of-view that you = were driving a diesel. In short, a great engine. BUT, while I would = whole-heartedly recommend this engine swap in a 2-wheel drive Vanagon with a 5-speed, = I would not recommend this conversion for installation in a Syncro, especially = here in America (which is the vehicle that I have). This is for a variety of = technical reasons that I will give later.

In spite of my reservations = (for others) of using this engine swap in Syncros, I feel strongly this is = the perfect solution for my trip to South America with the "Caravaners" in = the year 2000: great mileage, great low-end torque, and (hopefully) great reliability.

Cheers,
MJS

At 02:55 PM 6/10/99 -0400, Fitz-Randolph, Douglas wrote:
>I'm curious too. Changing engine = types seems like a Very Big Deal to me -
>especially for the cost vs. = a rebuilt WB.
>
>Also, why is *everyone* recommending the = 5-cyl conversion? What about the
>TDI? That would seem like the = ultimate engine to have in a Vanagon for those
>looking at spending = thousands and thousands of dollars anyhow. I've driven
>this engine in Passats = and also in the new Golf and it is excellent - and
>driving behind = one you'd hardly notice it was a diesel. Imagine getting 30
>mpg in a = Vanagon - that's about 500 miles per tank! (That figure was quoted
>in an = ad for a TDI conversion Vanagon FS in WI - YMMV). Plus, you could
>carry = extra fuel without breaking the law or risking your life! And = with
>gasoline prices and taxes sure to continue climbing, gallon for = gallon
>diesel might even become a cheaper alternative. And diesels last practically
>forever.
>
>Aside from limited fuel availability and cold weather issues in some areas,
>what are = the drawbacks? Lower ground clearance/engine height? = Cost?
>Difficulty of conversion? Is it practical only for already-diesel = vans?
>Doesn't work for Syncros? I know this has been discussed before, but = I
>haven't really found any definitive sources of information on the topic = in
>the archives or on personal sites. Anybody know the whole story?
>
>Doug Fitz-Randolph
>Yarmouth, ME
>dfrandolph@talkam.net
>'90 = Syncro

Michael J. Sullivan
Marshfield, MA
Tierra del Fuego 2000 or = bust!

'87 VW Vanagon GL Syncro Westfalia "Sunny" (soon to be TDi-powered)
'89 = Audi 200 Turbo Quattro Wagon "Wizard" (soon to be for sale)
'96 VW Passat = TDi "Teddi" = (46mpg)

work: http://www.openmarket.com
my vanagon: http://www.hsdesign.com/vanagon
scan tips: = http://www.hsdesign.com/scanning