Reply to:   RE: Shift knob rattle help??

Madeline,
I = think we're both dealing with the same problem. = I took a 1000 mile trip last week (first = with the Westy) and my shifter "rattles". = I was having a hard time describing the = sound it makes to some others on the list. = Mine seems to be significantly more noticeable = above 65 mph. It used to be worse at all = speeds but some synth lube helped at the = lower speeds. It also seems to change when = I pull the shifter toward me. It has a = louder rattle/roar when the spring snaps = the shifter back over to the right. I fear = it might be a tranny problem but sure would = like to have a cheaper cure! Any other = suggestions out there? (P.S. Thanks Daryl = for your input!)
<= BR>
Jim = in Iowa
91 Passat Wagon GL
89 Westy