David Williams wrote on 6-14 inquiring about the availablility of = u-joints for the Syncro center driveshaft.

A good place to start is by contacting Todd at Proven Force Clutch = & U-Joint in Minneapolis, MN at (800) 444-0755.  This all started = when I first brought my Syncro to him and he found a way to properly replace = these u-joints.   He has since replaced about a dozen u-joints for = List members over the past 2 years.

Without getting technical, let me just say that he has tried = various refinements on his initial technique, with mixed success.  The main = problem is that the u-joints listed in the various parts books as fitting the = Syncro are all too small, so they will loosen up with the torque from normal = driving.  There are u-joints for other applications which appear to be correctly = sized, but they also do not seem to be perfect.

Todd should be able to let you know how many of his repaired = u-joints have been trouble-free.  I can't give a good answer as my own initial = repair lasted about 10,000 miles before loosening.  The u-joint repair was = warrantied, but that shaft has not yet been re-installed into my Syncro, = as in the interim I have been running a used shaft that I acquired from = another Listee.  However, my van is now experiencing some different = vibrations which I suspect may be shaft related, so it may be time to try the = warrantied driveshaft.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Syncros!

Budd Premack
86 Syncro, = 84 GL(for sale), 73 Super
Minneapolis, MN (Land of Sky Blue Waters)