Brad Anderson = asked about this issue.  This is a reposting of my = procedure of resetting the oxygen sensor warning light.

-----Original = Message-----
From: Budd Premack <bpremack@wavetech.net>
To: Vanagon List <Vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM&g= t;
Cc: Jwalker@uronramp.net = <Jwalker@uronramp.net>; Daveb@cp.net <Daveb@cp.net>
Date: = Wednesday, May 19, 1999 1:09 AM
Subject: Oxygen Sensor Warning Light Reset-Syncro

Last week I related my difficulties in locating the reset button = for the oxygen sensor warning light.  Now I am happy to report success in = my quest.

In U.S. (and maybe other locations?) models, the speedometer cable = has a black box containing a mechanical odometer gear cluster, which is = designed at a preset mileage interval (40,000 miles or so, I think) to turn on the OXS = dash warning light.  This is to remind the driver to replace the O2 sensor.  Whether the O2 sensor is replaced at this time or at some = other interval is independent to the illumination of the warning = light.

This light does not mean that anything is wrong with the van; it is = simply an idiot light required by the E.P.A. (For those Listees who are not = familiar with these initials, they represent the Environmental Protection Agency, = our guardian of all thing good and proper for the rescue of the earth from = any source of pollution, either real or imagined.)

Regardless of any political or environmental attitudes, my concern = was to turn off the warning light.  This is done by pushing in the reset = button which is located on the front vertical face of the black box.  The = box is about 3 x 2 x 2 inches and is accessable from the spare tire area, once = you drop and remove the tire.

Why not take this opportunity to check the tire pressure of the spare?  Also, it is a good idea to put a dab of white lithium = grease (or similar) on the retaining bolt that secures the spare tire cover.  = When you need to remove it to access the spare, typically in a location much less = convenient than your garage or driveway, it is much better if it has not = rusted tight.

Just follow the speedometer cable and you will notice that it has a = black box spliced into it, above and at the rear of the spare tire area.  = If you have a 2 wheel drive model, it is easy to spot the box and the reset button.

The Syncro is more of a challenge (so what else is new?) because = two hoses (about 3/4 inch OD) effectively block your view and access to the front = of the black box.  If you feel around carefully, you will locate the reset = button.  It is inside and flush with a plastic sleeve of about 1/4 = inch diameter that protruds about 1/2 inch from the front of box.  The = button simply needs to be pushed in about 1/4 to 1/2 inch so that it will = physically reset the mileage counter.  (This appears to be similar in concept = to the reset button on the dash for the trip odometer.)  I used an allen = wrench of about 1/8 inch diameter to do the job, but one could use any handy tool = that is properly sized to accomplish the same result.

Once you know what to look for, this turns out to be a very simple and fast = procedure.  Additionally, it has the benefit of immediate satisfaction when the darn = red light stops shining in your face.

Budd Premack
86 Syncro, = 84 GL(for sale soon), 73 Super
Minneapolis, MN (Land of Sky Blue Waters)