Reply to:   RE: '89 Vanagon 10 years of Curiosities and =

Observations

Michael:

It stumbles away from = a stop (again with the
>pedal feathering = to keep it running) except now it bogs down = if you give it
>too much gas and only = accelerates when you find the "sweet = spot" with the
>gas pedal.
>
>By = the way, this condition is intermittent = and totally unreproduceable at my
>mechanic's = place. It seems to happen on damp nights = more than any other
>time, but has = happened in all temps, humidity and seasons.

I = too am suffering with this. There is poor = power/acceleration at low rpmin first gear = but a power surge when I approach 2000 rpm. = Its awful with the AC running. If I accelerate = prior to releasing the clutch (which I know = is bad for my clutch!) just to have a quicker = start in heavy city traffic its usually = a little better but occasionally I can't = get it out of this condition until I've = gained momentum/speed. My gas mileage stinks = (16.5 hiway) and many have said to replace = the O2 sensor, which I intend to do, but = I'm hoping the two problems might be related = and solved with the O2. Any comments from = the list?

>4) Gas quality = seems to have a big effect on the tractibility = of the
>vanagon.

Just had a long = conversation with my brother last night = who is a hot-shot GM mechanic. He told me = to buy only gas from AMOCO this summer as = apparently there are only two gas pipe lines = that service the midwest. Apparently on = the non-Amoco line they didn't properly = clean the pipeline between diesel and gas = shipments and its fouling GM vehicles all = over the midwest. He told me he had worked = on lots of nearly brand new vehicles with = clogged FI and that this problem is being = experienced all over the upper midwest. = FYI

>5) I have whistles from = air leaks at the top of the door frames. = Any good
>remedy besides playing with = the heating and ventilation controls. I = believe
>the whistles come form an excess = of air pressure forcing its way OUT.

I = have this same problem on my 89 but in my = case its the weatherstripping around the = windows. I need to replace that (next summer!) = but just live with it now.

Jim Fritz
91 Passat Wagon = GL
89 Westy
66 Beetle