The cooling = system of the 84 GL was properly flushed on Friday morning, in time for the anxious = buyers and their kids to take possession and head out for their innaugural weekend = of Vanagonering.

The job was completed by repeated applications of the bike pump = technique with a cold engine.  Without the need for (or availability of) any assistant, I was able to add about 6 ounces of coolant each time I = pumped a few strokes on the pump.  After an additional 1/2 gallon of coolant = replaced the unwanted air, I was finally rewarded by observing coolant trickling = out of the radiator bleed screw.  Initially the engine ran a bit hot, but = the new owners properly followed instructions and added coolant through the fill = tank until the system stabilized.  They report that the temp gauge is = now reading smack in the middle, and the coolant level seems to be = holding.  I cautioned them about checking it frequently to be sure that all stays well.

It occurs to me that I may have been the cause of much of my own = problem as I initially filled the system when the van already had the front end raised.  I suspect that this allowed much more air to stay in the = system than would have occured if the van had been filled while level, and then = had the front raised for flushing purposes.

Many thanks to the six Listees who e-mailed = me with helpful suggestions about flushing the air out of the cooling = system.  A special thanks to Bill Dummitt who took the time to call and offer his expertise.  This is a classic example of the helpfulness of the List.

Happy 4th of July to you all!

Budd Premack
86 Syncro, = 73 Super
Minneapolis, MN (Land of Sky Blue = Waters)