Hi my name is Alfred.
Can anyone help with this problem I am having with = my 85 Vanagon 1.9 standard transmission:
Starts fine when cold, runs fine until hot, also = runs fine at highway driving but when in slow traffic occasionally starts =
violent bucking. Also when slowing down it can't = have a nice even pull. It seems to have a lot of play in the throttle, i.e. it = surges too much or slows too much.
Another problem is that sometimes when easing up on = the gas or going down hill the engine dies.  To fix this I simply turn off the = ignition key and turn it on again (standard transmission) and it runs = fine until next time which may be tomorrow or next week, its totally unpredictable.
I have already had the temperature sensor problem = years ago, but this problem is different.  Van starts when hot but runs rough = at slow speeds while driving.(Idling when parked runs fine too)
Thanks in advance for any help.