Hi Alfred,
    Check the afm (air flow meter) . = Pop off the plastic top, you will see a wiper contact that slides on a = black carbon track (variable resistor).  Look for a worn place  in the = track. If worn there are many posts in the archives on how to = move the resistor plate and have a fresh track or you can replace the afm. Your afm resistor might be worn at the engine load = range where troubles are noticed. On type 2 / bus your problem was often = referred as a bucking bus.
Darrell
----- Original Message -----
From: Alfred Bagdan
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Sent: Saturday, July 10, 1999 = 1:10 AM
Subject: 85 Vanagon dying while = driving

Hi my name is Alfred.
Can anyone help with this problem I am having with = my 85 Vanagon 1.9 standard transmission:
Starts fine when cold, runs fine until hot, also = runs fine at highway driving but when in slow traffic occasionally starts =
violent bucking. Also when slowing down it can't = have a nice even pull. It seems to have a lot of play in the throttle, i.e. it = surges too much or slows too much.
Another problem is that sometimes when easing up = on the gas or going down hill the engine dies.  To fix this I simply turn = off the ignition key and turn it on again (standard transmission) and it runs = fine until next time which may be tomorrow or next week, its totally unpredictable.
I have already had the temperature sensor problem = years ago, but this problem is different.  Van starts when hot but runs = rough at slow speeds while driving.(Idling when parked runs fine = too)
Thanks in advance for any help.