We have an '87 Weekender that's in = great shape ... except for a couple of recent engine developments.

The day before our annual family = vacation, the distributor "blew up" (our mechanic's words).  What = causes that to happen?  I am told it is a $400+ part and am reluctant to invest = the money in an engine that has begun displaying several signs of head = gasket problems.

Do we replace the distributor for = the moment and try to get by with this engine until next year (when we can better = afford a replacement) or do we go for the engine replacement now?  I am = considering the Subaru engine swap, but do not know the first thing about beginning = this process.  Suggestions?

As we have in the past, we look = forward to the great advice and suggestions from members of the list.

Vern & Heather
Omaha, NE
'87 Weekender
'72 and '73 BMW Bavarias (for sale)